SIGN UP TO SING!
Space is limited, but we'll do all we can to get you in the show.
1. Cover songs only.*
2. One song (approx. 5 mins) per singer. You may provide unlimited musical support (by invitation) to other performers. Keep intros short.
3. Don't be too ambitious! While we welcome combos and variety, please try to aim high with minimal accompaniment (think voices more than instruments). It's tricky to get the sound balances right (and promptly) for twenty different acts. When it falls apart, the bigger the group, the bigger the mess.
4. Quick set-up. We use a PA with 4 inputs. We prefer that you plug your instruments directly into the system. If you prefer using an amp, consult with us.
5. A piano is available at Albany & San Rafael HOOT!s.
6. No "sing & scram". Every performer deserves an audience, and HOOT! is designed to be a group effort.
7. You may perform solo, duo, small group, a capella, instrumental - however you see fit. (But re-read Rule #3).
8. KNOW YOUR SONG! HOOT! is a supportive and forgiving community, but it's taxing for the audience if you take the stage unprepared. Try not to depend on lyric sheets, and REHEARSE, REHEARSE, REHEARSE. You don't need to be perfect but you need to be READY.
9. $10 in the hat for all attendees, performing and non.
*Original songs are occasionally permitted, but must be credited to PAUL ANKA.
The HOOT! On Record Campaign!
Since 2011, we've drawn secret musical legends from living rooms, backyards, and garages, put them in the service of reinterpreting (and extending) the entire history of song, and launched a new folk tradition. We've grown, especially in the past year, and with several occasions each month for local musicians to stretch and shine, it's time to document our efforts with greater thoroughness, fidelity, and imagination. The HOOT! ON RECORD campaign aims to take our community-in-concert series to a new level of visibility - and audibility.
HOOT! celebrates its eighth anniversary in September, and this campaign is our way of acknowledging all we've created - and will continue to create - together. Thanks for your contribution, musical or otherwise.
Joe Christiano, HOOT!