1. Cover songs only.*
2. An Act is a solo performer, a duo (Everly Brothers, Sonny & Cher), or trio/combo (BeeGees, Peter, Paul, & Mary, The Four Freshman). Acts may accompany themselves or be accompanied by others. What constitutes the category (solo, duo, trio) is the number of featured (i.e. not backup) singers.
3. HOOT! consists of three shows per month. Solo acts may be featured in one show per month, duos may be featured in two shows, trio/combos in all three.
You may sign up to be featured in whatever show you wish, but priority goes to those not featured in that particular show the previous month. In other words, if you play at HOOT! Preamp one month, HOOT! the next, and HOOT! Cabaret after that, you are likely to get a featured slot in each show.
Thus, in a calendar year, you can be featured every month at one or another HOOT!
4. In addition to your own featured performance, you may provide UNLIMITED SUPPORT to other players, every HOOT!, every month! Join the HOOT! FAMILY POOL!
Collaboration and communal effort is the life-blood of HOOT!
5. One song (approx. 5 mins) per act. Keep intro & setup short.
6. Don't be too ambitious! While we welcome combos and variety, please try to aim high with minimal accompaniment (think voices more than instruments). We offer two microphones (for vocals or vocal and guitar), and a single-input amp.
7. A piano is usually available, often with an accompanist.
8. No "sing & scram". Every performer deserves an audience, and HOOT! is designed to be a group effort.
9. KNOW YOUR SONG!
HOOT! is a supportive and forgiving community, but it's taxing for the audience if you take the stage unprepared. Try not to depend on lyric sheets, and REHEARSE, REHEARSE, REHEARSE. You don't need to be perfect but you need to be READY.
10. $10-$20 (or what have you) in the hat for all attendees, performing and non.
*Original songs are occasionally permitted, but must be credited to PAUL ANKA.